Saturday, January 11, 2014

That's Not Natural -The Torn Teapot, Part one

For Ryan, and those like him
who received rejection, instead of love.

Update, April 21, 2015: Since I wrote this, I have met Matthew Vines, and heard him speak with a loving heart, and a mindful knowledge of the Bible. Please take the time to read his testimony. Matthew Vines

The subject of this post has laid heavy on my heart and soul for the past few months. I have spent time pouring through Scripture, and devouring books, and visiting blogs, and asking questions, and praying, and praying, and praying. In spite of the fact that I will lose friends, and may be labeled with once of the worst traits in fundamentalism: compromiser, I must share my heart and burden concerning this touchy and divisive matter. I no longer live in Guilt. I have journeyed to Grace.

A while back, the patriarch of Duck Dynasty revealed his personal views concerning homosexuality. I was already embroiled in my study of this issue when that whole media brouhaha erupted, and was tempted to write this post at that point. But after prayerful consideration, I waited. This is not a response to the media storm. This is a very personal, close-to-my-heart, issue that I have been dealing with up close, and I don't want my opinion sullied by an overwrought media.

So, here goes. The biggie. My opinion based on my studies--Stay with me until the end of this series of blogs now-- Homosexuality, or as many call it, "same-sex attraction" is NOT a sin. It is no more a sin than a man being attracted to a woman, or a woman being attracted to a man. But, as with all sexual attractions, it is fraught with misconceptions, lustful attitudes, and questions not easy to answer. The human race, and in particular the modern church, hasn't figured out how to handle "normal" sexual attraction, and its aberrant avenues. No wonder we hem and haw and blame and point fingers, and shy away from those who are different from mainstream. That's natural human behavior. 

Problem is, Christians are not supposed to be "natural." We are to look at all people as precious souls created by God for His glory. But picking one sin that everyone "naturally" agrees is wrong and harping on it and resisting any hint of compromise is far easier than than looking inside ourselves and at others though Christ's eyes. That close examination takes time, and it usually reveals difficult and puzzling realities that make us uneasy and frightened. It is "natural" and easy to vilify that which we don't understand while ignoring the hurt and pain our vilification might cause to the soul behind the behavior we have labeled as sin.

No matter where they stand on this issue, Christians, and the church in general, must change their attitude toward those dealing with same sex attraction. We have too many young people with too many questions, and too much guilt, and too few answers from Godly, spiritual leaders. Suicidal thoughts and actual suicides pose a real threat to these young people. So, at this point, whether we believe homosexuality is a sin or not, we need to address those that hurt with love. I'll address this point more in another post.

In the next entry, I will share how I started on this particular section of my journey to grace. It is a personal story involving someone very close. God used his experience to lead me to my current conclusions, and to burden me for a new phase of ministry. Pray with me for wisdom. Look to Christ.Serve God and love others,
Teapotjan

2 comments:

David said...

I'm staying with you! I haven't done an in depth study on this, but I have been considering the topic more recently. I'm really looking forward to other posts.

Eric said...

Keep it up. Questioning and studying are the marks of the kind of Christians Paul praised in the Scriptures, or I should say our Father praised.

I had not thought about the aspect of "attraction" not being a sin.

I look forward to see what else you have to say.