Sunday, August 17, 2014

Teapot's Resolution

The Place I Should Stand
Janet Lindsey O'Brien


Grasping an arm. 
Clutching a hand. 
But still being pulled from the place I should stand. 
Being pushed by the longings that tear at my heart,
and the knowledge that leaving could be a new start. 

I want that life. 
I want to be me. 
No voice to say "wait."
I want to be free. 
To live in the now, and learn from before, and look to tomorrow with promise of more. 



But…
The arm leads to shoulder, 
The hand wears a band. 
The voice calls "I love you" from the place I should stand. 
Promises made. Promises kept. 
The shoulder is wet, 
with the tears I have wept. 



I'll stay in the place I promised to be. 
But that pulling and pushing shook something big free. 
I'll stay in this place, but I can't be the same. 
There'll be no more waiting. 
I won't play that game. 
I want the support of that arm, hand and voice. 
But if it's not there, I chosen my choice. 
I'll act on my own while I stand in my place, 
And I'll fight to be me and set my own pace. 

Squeezing an arm. 
Holding a hand. 
Still staying put in the place I should stand. 
I can be me, and he can be he. 
And my pushing and pulling brings that new start to me!




With love,

Teapotjan

No comments: