Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Got Faith?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1
In God's infinite wisdom and in His desire for a creature that would love Him by choice, faith and the choice to have faith in our Creator becomes the ultimate definition of humankind.

Many times I have heard the popular "God said it, I believe it, that settles it." Ultimately that is truth. We can even leave out the "I believe it" part and the statement is still truth. Such a simple saying, and yet, the human heart and psyche are anything but simple.

I have a friend who is struggling with some terrible issues. To be honest, I have many friends who are struggling with one terrible thing or another. I'm in the midst of an oppressive struggle even now. I have faith. I believe in God's faithfulness, and its substance. But, as a human with human needs, I long for actual physical arms to wrap around me, hold me close, and tell me with complete knowledge and power that everything will work out and all will be well on this earth and soon. 

For now, those arms manifest only in faith, and for now, the darkness of my spirit and the tears in my eyes make that manifestation pretty hard to see. It is these darkest of times when our faith grows weak that we need it the most. But, guess what? We don't need much faith at all to get past the dark times. Matthew 17:20 tells us that our faith need be no bigger than a mustard seed. I once had a bracelet charm with that verse and a mustard seed on it. That seed was no larger than the head of a pin.

In God's infinite wisdom and in His desire for a creature that would love Him by choice, faith and the choice to have faith in our Creator becomes the ultimate definition of humankind. And because He understands His creation, and its frailty, He requires only a little small bit of faith to please Him. Just a little, bitty bit of faith in a God that made all of creation sweeping the skies with His hands and scattering the planets and stars with His fingertips is all He requires to help us move through our struggles and live with Him in eternity.

Are there people with bigger faiths? Yes. Are there times when our faith will be larger? Probably. But the sweetest thing to me? That in our darkest, teary-eyed, want to die, or sleep or give up forever times, all He needs is that tiniest bit of faith to give us the comfort of Heaven and eternity.

Thinking that's a pretty good deal,
Teapotjan



No comments: