Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Tea Light in the Dark


Growing up I lived in the country about three miles outside of a small town. We had a few neighbors scattered about, but far away from street lights and big buildings, night time blanketed all of us in dark. It amazed the little, younger me that it was far easier to spot the location of some neighborhood houses after dark than in the bright daylight. We were surrounded by trees, and greenery blocking the view during the day. But at night, the neighbor's lights peeked through the tree branches until the final light was clicked off by the last person awake in that house.

I live the life of a city dweller now in a subdivision with many neighbors, street lights, and buildings close at hand.The night never quite gets its blanket tucked all the way around my home. So I shut the curtains at bedtime, and turn off the lamps, and the light fixture above the bed, and close my eyes to sleep the deep sleep of the tired and stressed. But even through tightly shut eyes I still see a glow emanating from the digital display on the cable box. It's not really noticeable during the day unless I'm looking straight at it, but without the competition of sunlight and table lamps it sears the bright light of its message straight into my brain. So, I throw a cover over it, or hide-it-under-a-bushel-yes!--so to speak. 

A few days ago, I wrote about life in the Bubble. The Bubble stands to be a place where lights go to learn how to burn brighter, share tips on how to maintain a good glow, and how to share the light with others. Not a problem, this is a good thing. The problem comes when all the lights stay in the Bubble. All gathered together blazing and illuminating the nearby dark. "Nearby" being the operative problem term. The brightest light in the Bubble overwhelmed in the midst of all the other bright lights.

We must take our light out of the Bubble. Friends, there exists an entire world blanketed by the dark. A world asleep to the knowledge that God loves them and wants to give them eternal light and life. We can be like that one display on my cable box shining brightly enough on its own to light the whole room around us.

Hide my light under a bushel? No! Hide it in a Bubble with a bunch of other lights? No! Let my light shine and show others Him? I pray YES!

In His light,

Teapotjan



No comments: