Thursday, April 11, 2013

Crackpot?



Mental Illness: a term fraught with stigma and shame. According to the National Institute of Mental Health: "Mental disorders are common in the United States and internationally. An estimated 26.2 percent of Americans ages 18 and older — about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year."

Given those numbers, we can be sure that each of us knows someone who suffers from a mental disorder. Probably several someones. And it's not unlikely to be the person in the mirror. As Christians, we can not afford to ignore a quarter of the population just because the term "mental illness" makes us uncomfortable. 


What Christians Need to Know About Mental Health provides a poignant insight into the mind of a young woman who has dealt with mental illness. She is also on the road from guilt to grace, and I'm sure her page will move you as it did me.

I'd love to hear from some of you concerning your struggles or the struggles of friends. My mission is to encourage those who are struggling in guilt and need help, inform those who could help on how to handle issues in love and grace, and enable all of us to work together to glorify God.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thank you, Janet. I have a loved one who is bipolar, and I want to understand what aspect of it is appropriately addressed through spiritual warfare. Learning to understand the "excluded middle" is something that I, a former fundamentalist, am still learning, trying hard to catch up. There's a lot more to say about that, but I'll stop. I've blogged about it, but only indirectly. Maybe I'll become more direct.

Janet Lindsey O'Brien said...

I found this site today. It is written by a Christian lady who has lived with Bipolar issues her whole life. I may be sending you somewhere you've already seen, but I hope it helps: www.outofthedarkness.net

I have some bipolar friends. I'm looking forward to exploring this subject in the near future, and garnering information on how we can help others deal with this disorder.

Love and Prayers!