Friday, April 26, 2013

Teapot in a Bubble


A few days ago, I wrote about how some Christians actually pull away from unsaved people, and expect the unsaved to act like the saved. Baffling. How do these folks expect to show the love of Christ to the unsaved? From afar? With a tract? Maybe a radio broadcast? Those things may help, but the best way to share the Gospel is to share yourself as Christ did with us. 

I have lived and worked in a bubble. In that bubble, we had certain standards to follow, our own phrases and inside jokes, a distinct style to our dress, and a certain way to do things, and certain churches to attend, and on and on. Visitors that did not come from other bubbles just like ours stuck out like pins on a pincushion. Many were sure these visitors would pop the precious bubble and change life as we knew it. We were Christians, working in a Christian place, with Christian co-workers. Our Christian children went to a Christian school, and we went to meals and church with Christians. There were months at a time when I had no personal interaction with the unsaved masses. 

I know all the excuses to pull away from those unsaved masses and hide in the Bubble. Bad influence on the children; I'll be tempted to join in their sin; People will think I'm compromising, etc. I've used some of those excuses myself, and I'm repentant of that. Still, I know really sweet, amazing people who are still in the bubble and still using those excuses. Do I think life in a bubble is bad? Hold on while I pull out my pincushion---Yes, if it's the only place you ever inhabit and interact with others, yes, yes I do. PoP!

If you have received Christ as your Savior, and you are led by the Holy Spirit, and in the care of the One who created all, don't you think that He can protect you and your children while you are sharing His Gospel? Didn't He go to the unsaved, eat with publicans, and preach to the unsaved masses. Yes, that's the very reason He said He came to us. 

So, what is my point? Should we pull our children from Christian schools, get jobs outside of our bubble, and evangelize in downtown bars on Saturday night? No, not unless you feel that God is calling you to do so. We have to use common sense. However, we should fervently pray for opportunities to befriend those God puts in our way, and show that we care for them, the person, that individual, that God created. Talk to your waiter or waitress in your favorite eating place about their families, and work to remember their name. Engage those around you in line with small talk if you're not too shy. If you are shy, remember, sharing the Gospel starts with caring about others. So, find one person that you see often in a store or in your neighborhood. Befriend that one person or that one family and show them that you care about them even if they smoke, are divorced, homosexual, or whatever. You don't have to endorse their sin or lifestyle. You just need to love them enough to let them know you will help them and show them that you have a peace and grace that they don't.  That's exactly what the Bible refers to by "letting your light shine." You don't have to light a stadium full of people, just those God puts around you.

As always, there is more to say. But I'll save it for another entry. I'd appreciate any questions or comments you have. Is there something that you want me to discuss that I can ponder and prayer about writing? Let me know.

Out of the Bubble and still in His Grace!
Teapotjan




3 comments:

Katie said...

It is an anomaly to me how many Christians donate money to fund foreign missions but refuse to even try to interact with their own neighbors. The small candle is so strong in darkness, but nearly insignificant when surrounded by light, no?

Unknown said...

Great post, once again! I love reading your blog! Hugs!

Unknown said...

Just came across your blog through a former classmate, and I, too, grew up in the bubble, and like you have discovered the joy of God's grace and the freedom in salvation as an adult, despite claiming it as a child. I knew God's Word at an early age and I am thankful for the educations I have received from fine Christian institutions, but I was also fortunate enough to have parents who allowed and encouraged me to question the various rules and regulations--while also supporting being obedient and respectful to those rules. There were 2 books I read that totally challenged me to be more Christlike: "Roaring Lambs" by Bob Briner and "Falling in Love with Jesus" by Kathy Troccoli and Dee Brestin.