Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Changing Out the Water- Brainwashing and the Christian


Last time, I exhorted readers to "question everything" and I still believe that. We have to examine what we believe and why we believe it for our selves: not because another person told us to believe it. But, I will add one caveat to that statement: If you question God, be prepared for some very strong answers! I have family members and friends who questioned all the beliefs from their childhood but did not seek the leading of the Holy Spirit. This may be because they have chosen not to listen, or because they are not saved and do not have the Spirit within them. Either way, it is a choice on their part, and because of God-given freewill, they must chose on their own.

There exists more books on Christian apologetics than I can think about without getting a headache. How Can I Know by Robert Jeffress is my current favorite. He asks and answers seven basic questions about God's existence and His Word. This book reads easily for a layman, and covers some very good points. Remember, these are the words of a man, but if you gauge them by the leading of the Holy Spirit, I believe you'll find good arguments for a strong belief in God.

From this basic understanding of God existence, move on to question the things you have been taught about living a holy life. Measure each teaching against God's word and seek a scripture that supports it. If you can't find a basis in scripture, it's a man-made belief. That doesn't necessarily mean that the teaching is wrong, but it does not define your walk with God. An example? The belief held by many conservatives that women should wear only skirts. Wearing skirts isn't a bad thing for women. But wearing a knee-length or longer skirt does NOT make a woman more Christ-like. Indeed, if she believes it does and looks down on those who do not dress the same, then she is not conforming to the image of Christ. Who's got the problem now? The praying, loving lady praising the Lord while wearing pants, or the pharisaical woman condemning another person based on clothing? 

Perhaps we should not be too hard on that disapproving lady. Why? Because many of us have been in the same place looking down upon those we feel less spiritual than us. And why do we do this? You may not like this answer, and you may need to sit down. . .  But many, many of us have been brainwashed. Yes, brainwashed by those who taught and preached to us and by those who taught and preached to them, and back to when one person decided that skirts were more acceptable in the eyes of God and that whatever did not exist in the Bubble must not be Godly and(start reading in a lofty, loud voice) woe be unto that lowly sinner, but for the grace of God there go I and . . . . It's almost an automatic response.

I don't want to admit that I lived a good portion of my life in a virtual cult. I don't like to think that many of the wonderful people that I know are still in a cult state of mind. And I am not going to blast any one denomination, place, or person by calling them cults or cult members. What I will do is post the definition of cult from the Merriam-Webster dictionary:
1 : a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous 
2 : a situation in which people admire and care about something or someone very much or too much 
3 : a small group of very devoted supporters or fans 
4 formal : a system of religious beliefs and rituals 
By these definitions, most religions are cults. But what about the title of this entry up there? Brainwashing? You might want to sit down again. From Merrimam-Webster:
Brainwashing: a forcible indoctrination to induce someone to give up basic political, social, or religious beliefs and attitudes and to accept contrasting regimented ideas.



When I first realized this, I was horrified and in denial. How could I be part of a cult? How could I have allowed myself to be . . . brainwashed? After a while I realized that any strong teaching and learning can be classified as brainwashing, but it did make me review many of my beliefs.

In the next entry, I'll continue this line of thought, and see how it actually applies to those of us pulling out from big "F" Fundamentalism. I welcome any comments or questions. Again, I'm not one for huge, theological debates, so if you want to argue semantics or deep, deep theological thoughts I'm not your gal. I'm striving for a practical everyday application of Biblical truths for busy, practical people.

Meantime, below is a link from the blog of another lady who is going through a journey similar to mine. It is a fascinating read and the comments of her readers are thought provoking, and eye-opening.

Finding Faith After Spiritual Indoctrination

In His Grace,
Teapotjan

1 comment:

David said...

I agree. I've run into the issue where I had to look at the Christian circles I was in from the outside, and it's not always pretty. Unfortunately, this realization makes it very, very easy to fall back to questioning it all to begin with. If not careful, it can become a very destructive cycle due to no fault of the one affected.