Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Prodigal Teapot-Loving The Unlovable, Part One

We all want our children to fit into our perception of perfect. Some parents long for a sports star offspring, while others pray for a professional cellist, or a doctor, or a computer programmer. Many people I know wanted their children to fit into the mold of a perfect Christian. You know the kind: fit, thin, bright smile, mind of a genius, amazing musical talent in both voice and instrumental areas, kind, community-minded, leader of people, highly spiritual, but humble in spirit, well-spoken and good-looking. I've been there. I've had dreams of my children becoming wealthy and supporting me in my old age in the luxurious fashion to which I've never been accustomed. 

I've met a lot of people. I've watched a lot of people. I have seen parents and kids in harmony and in conflict. What I haven't seen is an actual, perfect Christian parent or child. Ever. Why? Could be because they don't exist anywhere, not in the "F"undamentalist camp, not in the Emerging Church camp, not anywhere, not no how.

Why am I dashing parent's dreams of a perfect child? Because, they aren't going to be perfect, and we still need to love and cherish them anyway. We also need to realize that we aren't going to be perfect parents, and accept it, and do our best and get past any guilt over past mistakes.

I'm pretty sure this will be a multi-post subject. There are so many aspects to cover in the relationship between parents and children that they can't all fit into one neat little blog entry. The Bible has a great deal to say about parents, and children to the point of God being Our Heavenly Father. It's no mistake that He speaks of us as His "children."

I have pondered and reviewed and sought for a story where a hard-nosed, inflexible, parent standing on Biblical principles, and sporting a "by-God-you'll-do-right-or-you're-no-child-of-mine" attitude ever brought a child back to the Savior. So far, I haven't found one. On the other hand, I have heard story after story of wayward children pushed away from their homes and treated with such contempt that even when they turned back to God, the relationship with their parents was irreparably damaged. 

If you have stories of reconciliation or stories of heartbreak that you would like to share, please feel free to email them to me or message me on Facebook. I will use nothing without permission, and I will not mention details here or in my own personal conversations. 

There will be more in the next few days, but in the hope that I will gather more information from some of you, I'll wait a couple of days before I continue with this subject.
Lord, make me more like You. Let me love my children and others and see them as You do. Thank you, Father, for loving me and taking me into your grace. Bless those who are struggling with their children and with their own guilt and failures. Thank you for your perfect mercy given to your imperfect children.

In His Love,
Teapotjan


No comments: