Sunday, May 5, 2013

Teapot and Abuse

Those who have been reading my blog know my concern for those who are victims of abuse, whether mental, physical, or sexual. Again, if you are a victim of abuse, there are people who will help you, you are not alone. Contact me or contact G.R. A. C. E for help. Don't suffer, and don't protect your abuser.

But, I want to look at another side of the abuse issue. Most of us have known or suspected someone of committing abuse at one time or another, and were hesitant to speak to anyone about it. Again, I think that contacting G.R.A.C.E. would be an excellent resource for learning what to do. My reasons for suggesting them are many, but I'd like to cover a major one today.

While I want to help any victim I possibly can, I do not want the reporting of abuse to turn into a "witch-hunt." In today's over-reactive environment, some families have been literally ripped apart by false accusations of abuse. Often, the issue is treated as guilty until proven innocent and all of the children and taken away and placed in foster care. While I'm sure the motivation behind this action started out as protection for the children, any family wrongly accused would be devastated. 

I cannot imagine the terror and anguish a loving mother and father face when their children are taken from them. I do not want to think how the separation could traumatise the children. Parents wrongly accused of abuse bear the burden of proof for their innocence, and they may have to spend money and use resources that will financially drain them for decades. Their reputations fall into question wherever they go. And many times the children suffer from anxiety from the fear of losing their parents again.

After a friend told me just a few scant details of their ordeal, I did a little research. Most of the families that had been wrongly separated due to false charges of abuse spent decades trying to recover, and probably never will until they reach Heaven's healing shores. I don't want this to happen to any loving, innocent parent or child anymore than I want individuals to suffer at the hands of an abuser.

So, what do we do if we suspect someone of abuse? First, temper your response with prayer and caution. Speak to a pastor or leader you trust. If they do not take action, then contact G.R.A.C.E. or a similar organization. They will provide careful counsel on how to handle the situation without ripping an innocent family apart or allowing true abuse to continue.

As always, pray. Thanks to those of you who have contacted me. I love it! I'm more than willing to talk and listen to your suggestions.

In Christ,
Teapotjan






No comments: