Saturday, May 4, 2013

It's Only Tea if it's Cold and Sweet

Tea--people around the world drink it in various forms. But whether it's iced, sweetened, frozen, boiled, steeped, unsweetened, hot, it's still at the basic level tea. We don't go and tell people that in order to drink tea it must be just the way we drink it. Nor, do we tell others that if they want to claim to be tea drinkers they must add lemon or they just aren't drinking tea. 

Believe it or not, it is along those lines that a friend's status this morning started me pondering another side of big "F" fundamentalism with which I have a love/hate relationship accompanied with some distress: Foreign Missions. 

Before anyone chokes or starts to light torches to come after me, let me explain the "hate" part. I hate that missionaries must struggle so hard and for so long to raise enough support to get to the field where they desire to minister. I also hate that many of those supporting a missionary will drop out in a year or so for financial reasons or lack of interest. There are a few other things I hate about the current missionary support system in America, but those are the two main ones and the others branch out from them.

The most distressing thing about "F"undamentalist missions is their propensity to westernize the Gospel. Please don't get me wrong, not all American missionaries do this. I know some amazing people with strong testimonies and a solid following for Christ in a foreign field. I'm concerned about those who take American, not Biblical, ideas and present them as part of the Gospel. Whether intentional or not, this can still hinder the cause of Christ. 

Remember, we can't expect the unsaved to act saved. We certainly can't expect unsaved people from other lands and cultures to act like saved Americans. I doubt a tired mother with several small children clinging to her in Pakistan cares about a particular Bible translation when she has never seen a copy of any Bible. And I doubt her husband would benefit more from a sermon by wearing a suit and tie. Nor would many of our favorite hymns and music mean anything to them. Is there anything wrong with suits, ties and American hymns? No, but their use can be inappropriate and ineffective and a hindrance to the Gospel.

What do I love about foreign missions? As I said, I know some amazing people who have gone into other countries and led people to the Lord. They worked at becoming part of the community and culture. They gained the trust and love of the people native to that area and showed them a Christ-like concern for their souls. Their work wasn't about a Bible translation, a clothing style, or a music type. It was about the people, their souls and the Gospel. These missionaries went on to effectively train native preachers and teachers to carry the Gospel to their own people. That's a precious thing. I love hearing about and knowing missionaries who have done this.What a blessed thing to know that we will fellowship with these believers from around the globe when we get to Heaven.
And although I haven't been called to a foreign mission field in body, I send my prayers and my support to those spreading the pure Gospel of Christ, and I am praying that I will be able to do more. 

Just like tea doesn't need lemon added to be tea. The pure and simple Gospel of Christ needs nothing else to bring souls to Christ. Pray for the missionaries you know are spreading the Gospel. Send as much monetary support as you can. If you are interested in helping native missionaries, contact me. Or, you can go to Faith for These Times. This foundation sends 100% of all monies received to aid in foreign missions with an emphasis on training and helping native preachers and teachers to reach their own people.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another great blog post Janet! I so heartily agree with your points!